Unbillable Hours is our weekly round-up of what we're doing when we're not working on client projects, plus our most-talked-about Slack links.
Our ninth edition is full of seasonal cheer, and a couple of days early as we're all shoving off on our holidays soon. This week I've gone all-in on the festive vibes. Normal service will resume in the New Year.
What we're doing with our extra days off
- The 15-year-old me is super excited to hear Some Voices choir sing the soundtrack to Baz Luhrmann's Romeo & Juliet complete with neon crucifixes and Capulet masquerade ball (Thurs 18)
- One of our resident Canadians is leading a trip to watch the lumberjack circus Timber! at Southbank (Mon 22nd) full of acrobatics and clever tricks with saws, axes and logs (of course)
- For some peace and quiet, we'll be taking a stroll through the Geffrye Museum's eleven period rooms which are transformed with authentic festive decorations this time of year
Last minute gift ideas
- We'll be crafting some inappropriate Christmas cards at Drink Shop Do (Mon 22nd)
- or just buying some passive aggressive ones from Babak Ganjei (above)
- We're big fans of the If You Leave photo books which depict 'peaceful desolation' from talented young photographers around the world
- Pick up Crispin Finn's year planner for the super-organised person in your life
- I'm really hoping someone gets me these jolly sheepskin moccasins from T&Shop on Green Lanes (hint hint)
What we've been reading and watching
- This list of 18 Badass Women You Probably Didn’t Hear About In 2014 shows some remarkably strong women defending their rights, demanding equality and generally being champions this past year
- The New Yorker looks at fatigue as a protective emotion rather than a reflection of the body’s physiological state
- We read this love letter to Wetherspoons from Vice, and debated our favourite pubs in the chain (tip: it's not the Angel one)
- Anna Goodman from the Campaign to End Loneliness explaining what loneliness actually is to a nice man from the BBC. Here are 7 ways we can tackle it
- The City of Edinburgh is inviting people to help them figure out how best to spend the council's money with their online Budget Simulator
- This cautionary tale of learning to code reminds us to focus on one thing at a time and be patient. Probably good advice for learning all kinds of new things
In our headphones
OMG. We can't believe it is the final episode of Serial on Thursday. We're also working our way through Slate's 25 Best Podcast Episodes Ever.
'Tis the season for sharing our favourite Christmas tunes on Slack:
What we've been eating and drinking
We've already kicked off the feasting and boozing at our Annual Made by Many Beach Party™, and now we're ploughing through mulled wine and dreaming of xmas day pigs-in-blankets.
I've been lucky enough to try a Honey & Lavender Old Fashioned this week, and am stocking up on prosecco, blackberries and red vermouth for at-home cocktails. If you're not drinking, try this bubbly mocktail instead. If you like beer and illustration, have a look at Kate Prior's awesome designs for Maul Brewing Co:
So that we don't feel too awful we're trying to burn a few calories ahead of time. The Many have been getting up in the dark for #adventrunning, outdoor swimming and signing up for the second ever Hackney Half Marathon. I'm currently dragging myself through Frame's 12 Days of Christmas.
But enough of all that, let's just pause a moment to think about the Hawksmoor Christmas burger:
So this is what's inside our Xmas burger! Thoroughly test by our Turkey testers post shift! Come get some! http://t.co/AUVY50tQKG— @Spitalfieldsbar November 28th, 2014 10:25
Have a great week whatever you're doing. We'll be back with more Unbillable Hours in 2015!
Whether you’re trudging across town or hopping on a plane somewhere cold (or warm), here are our top eleven holiday reading ideas. Possibly slightly biase...
Another week, another Unbillable Hours. This week we've been debating Snake Proof Suits, having a Christmas party on a beach and lining up to sign our Chr...