We're looking for a Software Engineer to join our growing team.
Made by Many is a new kind of consulting company. Bringing together skilled professionals in technology, product design and business strategy, we’re helping ambitious businesses differentiate and get an edge in a digital world.
We’ve proven our quality in the market over the last 12 years: 77 clients, 102 strategy projects, 76 products launched into the market in 14 countries. But it’s not just about the product; it’s about putting our clients into a stronger long-term position, to be able to compete more effectively. For every client, that’s a different problem. With every client, we find a different solution.
We believe that, in a world of continuous change, the right strategy evolves through an early, educated assessment, followed by our process of making, testing and learning.
People Matter Most
We are searching for a versatile and collaborative senior software engineer with enough full stack enthusiasm to build great products and work in cross-discipline teams. This role is suited to someone who has experience working to a high standard on production code and who is interested in contributing to all layers of the technology stack. You should be comfortable working closely with client and internal teams throughout the full product development process. Whether it is researching or prototyping, writing production code or scaling, you will be someone who loves getting their hands dirty implementing features and tests, ensuring stability and smooth functioning of the live platform.
You’ll be supported by a friendly and inclusive internal engineering team who are constantly working to improve their craft, pushing themselves and our clients to bring together the best aspects of agile, lean, continuous delivery and devops.
You at Made by Many:
- You will be working on client projects, as a part of a small cross-functional team together with product managers, designers, business strategists and other engineers.
- In the early stages of a project, you will help to understand the client’s business requirements and, most importantly, user needs. Being involved in stakeholder and user research will build empathy towards users and enable you to make better decisions for the product. You will participate in and support the ideation process, validate technical feasibility and create proofs of concept.
- In later stages, you will build functional prototypes and turn them into production software. You will write both front-end and back-end code and deliver it as a web or mobile application. You will write unit tests for your code, review other people’s work, collaborate with QA specialists and help our clients understand our technical decisions.
- You will mentor and guide the work of those hoping to progress to your level so they feel supported.
- We always aim to have you dedicated to a single project at a time
Requirements and expectations:
- We don’t require formal education or qualifications. We just want someone with a passion for learning about new technologies.
- Experience shipping production web projects using Elixir, Ruby on Rails, Node.js, Python or any other modern programming language/web framework combination.
- Experience in — or an interest in learning — cloud infrastructures, such as AWS, Azure or GCP
Overview of our current stack:
- React/React Native
- Elixir and Phoenix
- Docker deployed on Azure or AWS
Working with Us
Our people are at the top of their game — or they’re on their way there. They’re smart and kind. They’re skilled in an extraordinary range of technologies, processes, or ways of seeing, thinking and communicating. They enjoy working together in teams and celebrate the team’s success before their own. They’re comfortable with uncertainty or change and are happy to get to grips with a new business sector, an unfamiliar product type or a novel technical challenge. And they’re not afraid to stand up in front of their colleagues or a client and say what they believe in.
Our business is dynamic and adaptive, with an agile heartbeat, so it is best suited to those who enjoy working at pace. Our teams typically consist of a product manager, a designer and a software developer who collaborate with each other alongside a product owner from the client’s business. Collaboration, communication and cooperation are key to the way that our teams succeed so they are qualities we look for when we search for new team members. Our culture is inclusive and friendly — we like to hang out with each other and we enjoy doing the best work of our lives together.
Salary, Benefits, Location
Salary is negotiable, ranging from £45–75K, depending on experience.
- Annual discretionary bonus, based on company and individual performance
- 25 days holidays per annum (not including bank holidays). We usually close the office at Christmas too, which means extra holiday for everyone!
- An extra day of holiday on your birthday (happy birthday!)
- Company pension scheme
- Private healthcare
- Excellent maternity and paternity packages
- Your choice of company mobile phone
- Mac laptop with admin rights and any other tech you need to do your job
- Investment in your continued professional development; whether it is formal training, conference attendance or just buying books — learning is important to us
- Regular company lunches, drinks, supper clubs and away days, as well as our summer party by the canal and Christmas beach party in Dorset.
- POETS Fridays in July and August, where the office closes at 4 pm.
- Beautiful office space next to Regent’s Canal in the heart of Islington (5 mins from Angel station)
- Kitchen and fridge stocked with breakfast and delicious healthy (and unhealthy!) snacks/ drinks to get you through the day
- Weekly lunchtime meditation, yoga sessions and a 5-side football team
- Bi-monthly subsidised chair massage
- Monthly tech meetups hosted at our office
- Three office dogs – Tilly, Bramble and Monty – who pop up now and again for a pat and a woof.
Location and Hours
- The role is based at our office (Diespeker Wharf, 38 Graham St, London, N1 8JX).
- Our office hours are 9am - 6pm, Monday - Friday, with the opportunity to work from home occasionally.
How to apply?
Send your CV to [email protected] and we will contact you about next steps.
What happens next?
Successful applicants will be invited to a short phone call so that you can find out more about the role and decide whether it sounds like the right opportunity for you. Come to that call armed with questions and we will do our best to answer them.
Should you proceed to the next stage, we will invite you to our studio for a two-stage interview process. First, you will meet your peers and managers from the engineering team. It would be really useful if you have some of your own code you can talk us through, whether it be from professional work or a side project. After that, you will get a chance to meet a group of people from other disciplines - designer, product manager and a strategist together with one of our Managing Directors. Both of those stages will take 60 to 90min each.
Diversity and Inclusion at Made by Many
As a truly international company, we thrive off diverse perspectives. We recognise that diversity has different aspects: gender, sexual orientation, perception and identification, ability, ethnic origin, age, lifestyle, neurodiversity and more. Building digital products that will have purpose and impact can only happen in teams which are truly representative. That’s why we recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, gender, colour, ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, disability, marital status or any other status protected by law.
We want Made by Many to be the place where you do the best work of your life, so fostering a culture where everyone is heard and feels a sense of belonging really matters to us. We don’t have tribes, cliques and factions, depending on where you sit or what work you do. We eat lunch together, we hang out together, we win together and we learn together.
Made by Many is an ‘equal employment’ employer and a member of ‘Inclusive Employers’.
Data is often used to report inside the business, rarely to build new innovative products that drive customer value. Let's start 'making' products with th...
We're looking for a Senior Strategist to join our growing team.
Launching Made by Many's new feedback process by exploring the flaws in current feedback behaviour